lundi 7 novembre 2016

Volcanic Darkness

This one is certainly one of my most refined painting : a few orange lines represent a sunset that evokes the color of the lava that don't appears on two black volcanoes under those strange skies. The background is pure white. Nothing more. That's a very special painting for me because I normally use to paint/draw (too?) many details in my works. I love the idea of "less is more" like the legendary music producer Rick Rubin does in his music. He's the one who helped a decaying Johnny Cash to come back on the scene, producing for him songs like "Hurt" which are based on this "less is more" philosophy. He's also the one who greatly contributed to make Kanye West's "Yezzus" a masterpiece. Intersting detail : in this album he's described as the "reducer". Maybe one day I'll apply this to my art as I'm trying to do it in my everyday life.

But let's get back to this painting's main topic : volcanoes. I feel like I'm repeating myself in the last articles, but this is one of my other childhood passion that still fascinate me as an adult. Their beauty and their strength captivate me at the highest point. I've had the chance to see some volcanoes in my life. Some sleeping like "el Pico de Orizaba" in Mexico, other just smoking like Vulcano, but also some erupting like Stromboli and Etna in Italy. To see lava beeing rejected by a volcano in the warm Sicilian night is something you can't ever forget. To hear this strong and dull sound the volcano is making - like a giant groaning - is something you'll always remember till your last breath. Volcanoes are huge creatures that command respect. That you don't want to make angry. It's very easy to imagine volcanoes are/were venerated in many cultures like gods. They make people around them humble and strong. Like the one living on Stromboli Island.











Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire